The Academy of Transport of Russia, later renamed to the «Russian Transport Academy» NGO was created on June 26, 1991.
The legal form of the Russian Transport Academy is an all-Russian public organization, uniting academics, specialists and executives on the basis of common interests and active participation in the development, improvement and implementation of priority solutions for the development of the integrated transport system of the Russian Federation as well as the entire set of transport sciences, including ones that made a major contribution to the science and practice in the field of:
- rail, road, air, inland waterway, maritime and pipeline transport
- road and transport engineering
- development of transport infrastructure systems
- arranging transport space.
Main Activities of the Academy:
- science and technology.
Conducting scientific, research and technology works is a priority task of the Russian Transport Academy, implemented on the principles of demand from the transport industry and transport engineering.
Membership in the Russian Transport Academy
Today, the Russian Transport Academy has 660 active members, including Doctors of Sciences, Doctors of Transport, representatives of member societies.
The active members of the Academy include 41 foreign delegates, with 21 of them representing 6 CIS countries:
and 20 active members representing 10 non-CIS countries:
- The Netherlands
The active members of the Russian Transport Academy also include a large team of scholars and practitioners involved in the development of new models of transport technology.
Structure of the Academy
The governing bodies of the Academy are:
- General Assembly
- Presidium Office
The highest governing body of the Russian Transport Academy is the General Assembly. The Presidium headed by the President of the Russian Transport Academy NGO is responsible for collective management of the Academy, with its administrative center located in St. Petersburg.
On November 18, 2008 the General Assembly elected the President – Doctor of Engineering Science, PhD in Economics, Professor, laureate of the State Prize of the Russian Federation in the field of science and technology — Aleksandr Misharin.
The structure of the Academy is based on the regional principle. Today, the Academy consists of 11 regional offices in Russia in the following cities:
- St. Petersburg
- N. Novgorod
The Academy’s main objectives are:
- participation in the scientific and technical activities aimed at maximizing the use of the intellectual potential of scientists and experts in the field of development of the Russian national transport system;
- facilitating the development of evidence-based sustainable, energy- efficient and environmentally friendly technologies of transport construction, as well as providing corporate and public services, while ensuring safe working and living conditions for the people and protection of the environment;
- promotion of scientific relations with enterprises specialized in transport construction, reconstruction and operation of infrastructure, the provision and organization of shipping process of the Russian and the CIS transport and technological complexes;
- combining the efforts of scientists working in various industries, aimed at ensuring that the transport programs are implemented at the federal, regional and municipal levels and the development of a unified system approach to the traffic management in Russia and neighboring countries taking into account international standards;
- combining the efforts of researchers and practitioners to study and solve major scientific and applied problems in the field of transport, as well as the improvement of the structure and the system of economic relations in transport in the context of diversity of ownership types and the transport services market;
- facilitating the evidence-based development of the country’s supporting transport network and addressing the problems of interaction between the various types of transport;
- facilitating the training, retraining and advanced training of the specialists of the transport system of the Russian Federation and the CIS countries;
- raising the prestige of scientific and educational activities, status and social protection of science and education specialists.
The main objectives of the Academy in scientific, research and technical activities are:
- obtaining new fundamental knowledge;
- searching for new principles of solving engineering problems and develop innovative technologies;
- creating new techniques and technologies for companies and organizations of the transport sector, industry and municipal services;
- ensuring a high scientific and technical level of training of the industry’s scientific and teaching personnel;
- establishing science schools as the basis for training and the development of research activities;
- expansion of the international scientific cooperation.
The main objectives of the Academy are achieved by solving the following problems:
- providing research on various types of transport, traffic management and navigation;
- development of theoretical and applied problems related to improving the structure and the system of the economic relations of transport organizations and transport engineering in the context of diversity of ownership types and the transport services market;
- organization and provision of fundamental and exploratory research of non-traditional types of transport, engineering, traffic and navigation management, operation, quality user service, safety and environmental transport systems;
- development of efficient organizational, technical and engineering measures to reduce the share of transport expenses in the cost of industrial and agricultural products;
- creation of methods for development of solutions for the rates, duties and taxes most favorable for the society and transport;
- creation of a bank of scientific and intellectual resources and ideas, with maximum facilitation of their most complete and accelerated use in industry and in the practice of transport enterprises (organizations);
- predicting the transport development problems, identifying sustainable trends shaping the overall strategic directions of resolving these problems;
- implementation of a broad propaganda of achievements of the transport science and technology in print media, on the radio, television, in the movies, exhibitions, organization and support of transport museums, archives and libraries;
- organization and assistance in the preparation and training of science personnel in Russia and abroad, support for young scientists, re-training of senior executives;
- promotion of scientific relations in the field of transport with the Russian Academy of Sciences, Academies of Sciences of the neighboring countries, industry-based academies of sciences, scientific and technical societies, associations and other public and scientific organizations;
- development of scientific bases for the use of sustainable, energy-efficient and environmentally friendly technologies of public and corporate transport services;
- implementation of a comprehensive analysis of the transport security problems in the framework of technical, organizational and counter-terrorism measures;
- environmental monitoring of transport, as part of the national security issue;
- improvement of the system, structure, methodological approaches to the training of specialists of all levels for transport and transport engineering, development of material and technical base of the industry’s educational institutions;
- participation in the development, improvement and implementation of federal laws and regulations governing activities in the field of transport;
- organization of scientific, methodological and practical congresses, conferences, symposiums, exhibitions, workshops, creative discussions, academic readings on the problems of transport activities.
The range of scientific and practical transport problems and issues, which the Academy solves at the federal and regional levels, is extremely large.
In particular, the developments of the Russian Transport Academy scientists have:
- formed the basis of the Transport Strategy of the Russian Federation approved by the Government for the period up to 2030
- allowed to conduct research and develop practical ideas on specific regulatory issues and arrangement of international transport corridors, transit of cargo through the Russian Federation, the development of Russian ports, logistics transport problems and many other issues.
In its activities the Academy collaborates with public authorities, businesses and non-profit organizations, including international ones.